Tuesday 20 May 2014

Guillain-Barre Syndrome

Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS), also known as acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy, is an autoimmune disease whereby antibodies mistake the myelin sheath for pathogens. This results in demyelination of the peripheral nerves and nerve roots leading to muscle weakness. It commonly follows a respiratory tract or gastric infection, or perhaps from immunisation or surgery. In order to be classified as GBS, the time of onset to peak disability (nadir, meaning opposite or lowest point in fortunes) should be less than 4 weeks. 

Muscle Weakness
·  Leg weakness if often noted first, progresses proximally and includes all muscle groups
·  Asbury & Corblath (1990) discovered that 50% of pts reach nadir in two weeks
·  Nadir can include complete paralysis, and 50% of pts have facial weakness
·  Frequently bulbar muscle groups are affected to require NG feeding to avoid aspiration
·  Paralysis of respiratory muscles causes vital capacity to fall in 30% of pts, where elective ventilation is indicated

GBS is predominantly a motor neuropathy, but 42-75% of pts have some alteration in sensation. Joint positional sense in the toes is missing in over 50% of pts. It has been postulated that pain could be due to inflamed and tightened neural structures in the acute stage, however could be due to abnormal forces on joints that are poorly protected by weakened muscles.

Recovery tends to occur within a month of nadir, and has the potential to be complete providing secondary implications such as contractures are avoided. 

5 comments:

  1. This results in desalination of the peripheral nerves and nerve roots leading to muscle weakness. isagenix diet providing best cleansing services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article with excellent idea!Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.. Therapy balls

    ReplyDelete

  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I panicked when I saw the first sore. The medicines couldn't heal the sores completely, my whole life I was entirely desperate. Till I found the natural permanent cure for herpes through Nze Njoku Herbal Home, I felt like I was born-again. You can get rid of herpes from now on, too
    Reach Nze Njoku Herbal Home on
    nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete